The Pelvic Health Physiotherapists of Alberta (PHPA) have prepared the following guidelines regarding when to seek treatment from a pelvic floor physiotherapist.

Consult a pelvic health physiotherapist during pregnancy if you have:

  • Pain in your pubic bone, groin, back, pelvis, buttocks, or legs
  • Difficulties doing everyday tasks such as rolling over, walking, or getting in/out of a vehicle
  • Leaking urine when you laugh, cough, sneeze,¬†walk, etc.
  • Bulging or tenting of your abdomen when you lift your head off a pillow (abdominal diastasis)
  • Pain with penetrative sex
  • Vaginal varicose veins
  • Questions about preparing for labour & delivery

Consult a pelvic health physiotherapist after delivery if you have:

  • Scarring from c-section, tearing, or episiotomy
  • Leaking urine, gas, or stool when you cough, sneeze, exercise, etc. or not making it to the bathroom on time
  • Problems emptying your bladder or bowel completely or frequently
  • Pain with penetrative sex
  • Pressure, heaviness, or bulging in your vagina or rectum
  • Ongoing pain in your vagina, rectum, pelvis, pubic bone, abdomen, or low back
  • Bulging or tenting of your abdomen during any exercise